Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Amazing Paris...

Sometimes, out of numerous things of a category, you seem to like something purely out of instinct... There is no reasoning,no facts to support that... But still, you like that... I say 'you have a "thing" for that choice...

Ever since I have been thinking about traveling to hundreds of places around the world, I had that "thing" for two cities in the world, New York and Paris... Well, really speaking, there are at least 5-6 more cities , which are, if not more, equally glamorous, in terms of tourist attraction in the world... But again, instinctively, I like these two the most and was really craving to see these. I got the opportunity to visit at least one of these some days back...Paris...

I won't go into the details of the places I went to and the things I saw, because that's not something that lasts in our mind. Instead, it is the "impression" that the city leaves in your mind, which is something you remember even after 10 years later...

The most important thing that amazed me while in Paris, is the architecture. There are hardly any buildings without any intricate artwork, sculptures, beautiful designs... Most of them are classic cream-colored, grand, mostly with huge pillars, huge windows, with an aristocratic touch...Well, many cities have at least some such buildings, but the amazing thing about Paris is that the city is full of such buildings. "Majestic is one word, which can describe them the best...

I visited many glamorous places - Eiffel Tower, Louvre, Notre Dame, river Seine, Arc de Triomphe. Each time, I recollected the image I had of these places (from the information I had about them), and was thrilled to actually see these places...- especially ,the Eiffel, with the awesome panoramic view of the city that you get atop Eiffel...and off course, the majestic view of Eiffel itself at night, when they have hourly light-shows at Eiffel. The night spent below Eiffel is surely one of the most memorable ones... But the moment to top it all was when atop Eiffel tower, when I was already in high spirits with the awesome view that was in front of my eyes, I saw there, a guy proposing to his girlfriend with a ring, and the girl, half-crying , choking with emotions, said "yes" to him... It was the most romantic moment I have ever witnessed (in real or in films)... Simply unbeatable !!

I had written earlier, that I won't go into the details of the places I saw, but this is something which I will remember for years...We were in Montmartre near the Basilica of the Sacré-Coeur... It's high up on an hill... gives a great view of the city... on the steps of the church there.. with people sitting, 3-4 guys playing some calm English numbers with a guitar and an Amp.With the serene atmosphere, enjoying the calmness, enjoying the moment... really hypnotizing...

I couldn't see much of Paris in 2 packed days... But even with whatever part of the city I saw, (and may be because I have not seen many cities around the world, but whatever..) , it easily qualifies as the Best City I have ever visited....

No comments: